What is Sustainability?
The word sustainability means longevity. Many people define sustainability as protecting the environment. Others think it’s about renewable energy, such as solar arrays and wind turbines. Sustainability Management Consulting’s philosophy endears that both society and the economy rely on a healthy natural environment. Our health, wealth, and happiness rely on safe drinking water, land to grow food, plants and trees to filter toxins, and clean air to breathe. Our goal is to create solutions that manage solutions for people, planet, and profit simultaneously. Learn More
Why Manage for Sustainability?
To ensure a wonderful world for our children and their grandchildren, humans can leave a smaller footprint and tread lighter on the earth. As a society, we will face many pressures during our lifetimes. Emerging economies with rapidly growing populations will strain all resources to live a lifestyle that Americans have enjoyed for generations. Materials and energy will become much more expensive as companies strive to meet the needs of rising population growth and affluent emerging economies.
Another aspect is our reliance on global supply chains for all material goods that impact all industries and commodities. Sustainable businesses are learning to manage resources wisely to ensure a healthy natural environment for future generations. They are collaborating with suppliers and competitors to create solutions as industries and responding to rising consumer expectations. They are creating jobs in reclamation, recycling, re-manufacturing goods from garbage, and reducing energy and water usage in the process. Why manage for sustainability? It is just smart business sense.
How Can Sustainability Management Help You?
Sustainability can help you by contributing to a healthier, wealthier, and happier lifestyle. Focusing on sustainability will save you money, protect the environment and reduce material resources, as well as leave the planet a better place for future generations. For most of our clients, taking responsibility and caring for others makes them feel good by doing their part and making a difference.
Why Pursue Sustainability Management?
Why should sustainability become a strategic imperative? There are many benefits of pursuing sustainability and risks associated by not being proactive.
- Some of the benefits of engaging in sustainable management
are as follows:
- Reduce costs by reducing waste, energy, water, pollution
- Increase revenues through innovation and new business to business opportunities
- Go beyond regulatory compliance
- Proactively engaged beyond regulatory compliance
- Opportunities to innovative new products and services
- Opens new markets
- Retention of employees that share similar values
- Public image enhanced
- Reduce risks and insurance costs
- Improve quality of life for stakeholders
- Gain traction with public image and brand
- Many risks exist for organizations that do not pursue sustainability:
- Higher risks and environmental regulatory requirements instead of Risk Management for pollutants
- Risk management for pollutants
- Obsolescent raw materials or increased expenses to operate as status quo
- Attacks on brand image through value chain
- Legal risks
- Closed out of markets or loss of contracts
Sustainability management is a journey. Change management does not happen overnight. Understanding the risks of not pursuing sustainability and benefits of doing so are the reasons for change and will lead to a culture of continuous improvement..